16 March 2010

Orishia - Falling Open

I finally bought Orisha's album "Falling Open."

After having her as my Artist of the Week, or Wrap Your Ears Around This Artist, or something like that, I had some money leftover from my birthday presents and bought the album.

So, what do I think of it?

You know, in school, when they tell you that the first answer that comes to your mind is usually the right one (and on multiple choice tests I usually thought of Z - which is not on there). Well, thinking about how to answer the style of music which comes across your aural canals the first think which came to my mind was: humble beats.

Yeah, you just read that! Humble beats.

Now, how do I describe this...

They aren't bombastic or overly processed. Just simple, delicate and humble.

The lyrics are great. Full of honesty and emotion; they can be what you expect to out-of-nowhere frankness (To my grammarians out there, you may wanna toss me a bone on this sentence if you get a chance). "Beautiful Thing" is one of the later. The beats, the melody, the vocals all intone a sweetness but when you listen to the lyrics - it's a totally different world.

"Waiting for a Change" has become a favorite on this album (outside of Beautiful Thing). The orchestration and lyrics match up (and a catchy beat doesn't hurt either) wonderfully to help the story to be told.

In my mind I've been trying to find another way to describe this album, going about it the Ben Frost way, by not just saying "dark" or "moody" or "emotive." He suggests describing music as if you were describing food, or wine (if my memory from his interview with Solipsistic nation is holding true).

So, I'll describe it the way my mind's eye sees it.

Stick with me now, alright?

I was taken back to when I was at the drive-in with my friend's family in Twin Falls, ID watching a movie. It was late at night, had to be pushing 11:30 or so, and off across the desert you could see the sun at the nadir making its last push to not be sent away for the day. The sky is pitch black with this one little squint of day making its way into view.

Take that visual, now space out arcing electrical units placed every 5 miles (just well enough to be in view). After that, place cannons (go with me now!) every so often.

If you head to the title track to the album "Falling Open", with the wobbling bass line representing the electrical generators and maybe the cannons as part of the beat and throw in some fireworks to represent the melodies - you may get a weird mental picture.

For me, it just seems to work.

The sun being the hope of something new with the visuals taking you along the path to that fruition with reminders of the trials and pains which you overcame to get to where you want to be.

Speaking of "Falling Open," Emah Fox's vocals play with the words, taking them from merely just sung, to parts of the orchestration. The enunciation and punchiness make it worth the while.

This album also has quite a few instrumental gems added in which punctuates the mood and progression.

It's just an endearing album. I've only touched on a few songs here, so go out and get the whole thing and find out for yourself.

No comments: